- Under World War 1, the soldiers were in a trench for the most time of the war. The trench was a hole at the ground, filled with mud and water. After the war, the soldiers experienced trauma, and they were still hurt mentally.
- Around 16 million soldiers died at WW1.
- A.A. Milne was still hurt mentally. When he heard bees or a loud sound he would get flashbacks to the war.
- All that Christopher wanted from his parents was some attention and be able to be alone with them in the woods, not always being in public and be recognized.
- His relationship with his father was very strong at the end, but at the start, it seems that he was afraid of his father.
- His relationship with his nanny was very strong at the start to the end. When he was a kid his mom was bearly at home, so his nanny was like a second mom to him.
- At the private boarding school, he was bullied a lot and everyone recognized him. And the only reason why he switched school was that he didn’t want to be recognized.
- I thought the film was very good. One thing I noticed the most was that the parents and all the other people in the world thought that Christopher Robin was the happiest kid in the world, but in reality, he was not happy at all.
In today’s class, we spoke with some India and Isreal students on Skype. We asked them, “How is climate changes affecting your country?” Isreal answered that in a couple of years now the climate has just been warmer and warmer for every year.
Norms and Rules
If you want a working society you need to have norms and rules. Without norms and rules, the place would be catastrophic. Maybe 97% would have a common sense and would not kill or steal, but the other 3% would have made chaos. And then the 3% start stealing so other good guys from the 97% would also considering stealing and there the loop starts.
Say if I started working with data security, I would have a lot of responsibility and a decent earning. One day 2 criminals offer me a job. All I had to do is to “forget” to turn on the security camera and I was paid 870.000$. That’s more money than I would earn in 6 years of hard working. Just in one day. If someone robs a bank, that would 100% come in the newspaper headlines.
However, I thanks no to the job because I know what’s right and wrong. A week later I hear on the news that someone has robbed a bank, and not a single person was caught. You start to think about what would have happened if I took the job, I would sit here with more than 800.000$. So, if someone comes to me again it would be a much bigger chance of me saying yes.
And this is the problem with humans. We are too scared of getting caught and losing everything. However, you take a risk because it can reward you. Most norms and rules are broken because of humans’ greedy minds to money.
Was It Worth It?
In the novel “Lamb to The Slaughter” You meet a wife and a husband. The wife gets angry at the husband because he isn’t nice to her. So, she decides to kill him with frozen lamb meat. The story starts with they married couple getting into a fight, after some time the lady takes up a frozen lamb club and slams the husband in the head and he dies. In this novel the wife doesn’t have a big reason to kill him but, in the text, it says that the man has punched her and locked her in. In my opinion, I think it was wrong. He should have been punished, but not get killed. She should have thought about reporting him instead of killing him. Because, now she is just as bad as him, if not worse.
In the movie “Spare Parts” 5 students work on a submarine project. They enter this very big contest and wins it against all odds. The problem here is that the 5 students do not have US citizenship. So, they break the law by just staying in the country. They are breaking the laws, on the other hand, they don’t have a choice. At the end luckily the 5 students get the prize money from the submarine contest and finally they get a US citizenship. You think this only happens in the movies, but this movie is based on a true story.
To compare these to actions. I think the wife who killed his husband had no very good reason to kill him. I think she was so angry, so she didn’t think clearly when she killed him. In the Film “Spare Parts” I think they stayed in the country for a good reason. They could have escaped to their home country but then they maybe would have died. In my opinion, if you get good grades and rarely get in trouble I think you should get an opportunity to get citizenship. It’s a big difference between killing someone and staying illegal in a country, but the punishment is very similar. To conclude I think that the two stories had a very different scenario, but both of them was about how they broke the law in two different ways.
- The story behind the wall started first on June 16, 2015. One of the biggest problems since he mentions the wall, is who is going to pay for it? Is it USA or Mexico? Trump wants the wall because he thinks that most criminals and drugs come from Mexico and if we build a wall, we will stop drug traffic and criminals.
- It’s so important because Trump wants to lower the crime rate and the drug traffic fast. “Before it’s too late” does Trump say. It’s also important because that was one of the things he promised in the presidential election.
- In United States politics, a government shutdown occurs when Congress fails to pass sufficient appropriation bills or continuing resolutions to fund federal government operations and agencies, or when the President refuses to sign into law such bills or resolutions.
- Both Great Britain and the USA citizens have a common fear of immigrants.
- The people who are affected by this crisis is Homeland Security, Justice, Agriculture, Treasury, Interior, Transportation, Commerce, Environmental Protection Agency, Housing and Urban Development.
- “Buck stops with me” mean that you have to take responsibility for something and will not try to pass the responsibility on to someone else.
“A Day’s Wait” (1936) is a brief story by Ernest Hemingway that conveys the seemingly tragic outcome of miscommunication between a boy and his father.
Schatz is a nine-year-old boy who becomes sick a winter night. After a doctor is called, it is determined that Schatz has contracted the flu and has a high fever. It is considered only a mild case, and the doctor leaves medicine for the boy, who overhears the physician tell the father that the boy’s temperature is 102 degrees. It is this information that causes the perceived conflict and misunderstanding between the boy and his father.
The boy is French and have Celcius and not Fahrenheit. So when the doctor says 102 degrees he thinks that he has a fever that is 102 degrees Celcius. The boy is very scared and is only waiting for his death. After a day he talks to the doctor and he explained what Fahrenheit is. This story tries to tell you that it’s better to open your self up than it is to face the pain alone.
In my opinion, both options are very hard in different ways. To have the strength to face pain on your own is hard in the way that you have no one to talk to. For someone its so much harder to open up for other people to help you. This takes a lot of courage and will, and many think this is much harder than face it on their own.
We chose the picture of Leonardo Dicaprio who holds a speech about climate changes at the Fn. Leonardo Dicaprio is a well-known actor and is the spokesperson for the Leonardo Dicaprio Foundation which raises awareness of climate changes. The Leonardo Dicaprio Foundation is a campaign is dedicated to the long-term health and wellbeing of all Earth’s inhabitants. Their mission is to restore balance to the threaten ecosystems, species, and communities and to increase ambition to tackle the crisis of climate change. The campaign contributes to the society by raising awareness of this issues and promoting the best climate solutions. The society obviously needs to take action of the climate changes before the consequences will be too great to handle, such as destroying our planet.
Picture three is about volunteering for example working in an American soup kitchen. If you work in an American soup kitchen for free, you help out the other citizens that don’t have a house or anything to eat. When you are working for free you also help the state by saving them money. Is a lot of other ways to job as a volunteer, but as long as you work for free you help out the society moneywise. So when you work as a volunteer you not also help the state you also help the poor people if you work in an organization that supports it. This is a way to be a good citizen.