Norms and Rules
If you want a working society you need to have norms and rules. Without norms and rules, the place would be catastrophic. Maybe 97% would have a common sense and would not kill or steal, but the other 3% would have made chaos. And then the 3% start stealing so other good guys from the 97% would also considering stealing and there the loop starts.
Say if I started working with data security, I would have a lot of responsibility and a decent earning. One day 2 criminals offer me a job. All I had to do is to “forget” to turn on the security camera and I was paid 870.000$. That’s more money than I would earn in 6 years of hard working. Just in one day. If someone robs a bank, that would 100% come in the newspaper headlines.
However, I thanks no to the job because I know what’s right and wrong. A week later I hear on the news that someone has robbed a bank, and not a single person was caught. You start to think about what would have happened if I took the job, I would sit here with more than 800.000$. So, if someone comes to me again it would be a much bigger chance of me saying yes.
And this is the problem with humans. We are too scared of getting caught and losing everything. However, you take a risk because it can reward you. Most norms and rules are broken because of humans’ greedy minds to money.
Was It Worth It?
In the novel “Lamb to The Slaughter” You meet a wife and a husband. The wife gets angry at the husband because he isn’t nice to her. So, she decides to kill him with frozen lamb meat. The story starts with they married couple getting into a fight, after some time the lady takes up a frozen lamb club and slams the husband in the head and he dies. In this novel the wife doesn’t have a big reason to kill him but, in the text, it says that the man has punched her and locked her in. In my opinion, I think it was wrong. He should have been punished, but not get killed. She should have thought about reporting him instead of killing him. Because, now she is just as bad as him, if not worse.
In the movie “Spare Parts” 5 students work on a submarine project. They enter this very big contest and wins it against all odds. The problem here is that the 5 students do not have US citizenship. So, they break the law by just staying in the country. They are breaking the laws, on the other hand, they don’t have a choice. At the end luckily the 5 students get the prize money from the submarine contest and finally they get a US citizenship. You think this only happens in the movies, but this movie is based on a true story.
To compare these to actions. I think the wife who killed his husband had no very good reason to kill him. I think she was so angry, so she didn’t think clearly when she killed him. In the Film “Spare Parts” I think they stayed in the country for a good reason. They could have escaped to their home country but then they maybe would have died. In my opinion, if you get good grades and rarely get in trouble I think you should get an opportunity to get citizenship. It’s a big difference between killing someone and staying illegal in a country, but the punishment is very similar. To conclude I think that the two stories had a very different scenario, but both of them was about how they broke the law in two different ways.